Describing My Experience...They Say It Better

Here are just a few anecdotes I have found that describe my experiences, challenges, hopes, and prayers as a 2006-2008 Holy Cross Chile Associate. It seems that sometimes the best words to express yourself are not always your own.

Thursday, August 10, 2006

"There is a simple, clean-cut vivid challenge to those who live in freedom. This challenge demands that to those in need we give some of our time, some of our humanity, some of our life, and some of whatever light we may have to give."
- Thomas Dooley


MY LORD GOD, I have no idea where I am going.
I do not see the road ahead of me.
I cannot know for certain where it will end.
Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think that I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so.
But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you.
And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing.
I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.
And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road though I may know nothing about it.
Therefore will I trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death.
I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.
- Thomas Merton, "Thoughts in Solitude"


"Let go and let God"
- Natalie Nathan


"To live and serve God and our brothers and sisters in the tangles of our minds demands infinite patience with ourselves and our brothers and sisters."
- Fr. Michael Himes


"It is not about solving the problem, but about managing the dilemma."
- Maureen R. Connors, Ph.D.


"Don't envy the martyr, be one!"
- Ashleigh Brilliant, Pot-Shots Card #1943


"The only way to be sure of surviving is never to do anything for the last time."
- Ashleigh Brilliant, Pot-Shots Card #3418


"The greatest wonder is how little time it takes before any new wonder no longer seems wonderful."
- Ashleigh Brilliant, Pot-Shots Card #2761


"Never say always, but don't always say never."
- Ashleigh Brilliant, Pot-Shots Card #1058